Saturday, May 26, 2012

NT Scan, Sigh of Relief, and a Tiny Penis?

Dear Baby Holler,

Yesterday we had your first trimester screening, the NT scan.  This is a pretty big deal.  I know that you have had about a million ultrasounds, and you're basically not even impressed with them anymore because it's old news to you, but this was as important as all of your ultrasounds combined.  We had to go to a Perinatologist, a fancy baby doctor, for the scan.  They took loads of measurements. Tons.  They checked you for everything under the sun, including any "red flags" for Down's Syndrome and brain or heart issues.  And you were perfect!  So we've pretty much been on cloud nine since yesterday, we're so happy that you seem to be totally healthy in there.

You were sleeping when the tech pulled you up on the screen.  And you were totally not in the position you needed to be for her to get important measurements, but you did not care.  You were busy sleeping.  Everything else can wait.  You get that from me.  When I am sleeping, and am getting bothered (usually by Daddy and a VERY persistent chihuahua that I have named "The Harasser"), I get so mad!  Sleep is a precious gift, Baby Holler.  I'm proud of you for already realizing that.  I'm glad I'll have a teammate.  You and me, The Sleepers, against Daddy and Frankie, The Harassers.  Soooo happy to not be outnumbered anymore!

But I digress.  Where were we?  Oh yes, you were stone-cold passed out.  The tech started poking and prodding you with the probe, trying to nudge you awake.  This did not make you happy.  You waved a fist as a warning that this needed to stop (I do the same thing to The Harassers).  But she wouldn't give up.  Finally, you started to wake up and you kicked your legs (probably stomping your feet in protest, like I do) and started stirring about in there.  The tech was able to get most of the measurements, but then, just to show her who was boss, you started doing flips.  I think you did this on purpose because she had to just sit there and wait for you to get through with your Fetal Summer Olympic Games.  She woke you up, but you showed her, Baby Holler.  You totally showed her.

Now in the middle of all this, I saw something that I've read about on the internet....It's called the Nub Theory.  Basically, all little babies your size have a nub at the time of their 12 week scan.  It's the "parts" growing into what they're going to be- either boy or girl.  They actually look similar at just 12 weeks, but the difference is that for a girl, the nub is straight and parallel to the spine.  For a boy, the nub points up...Usually about 30 degrees from the spine.  I have had a "feeling" from the beginning that you were a boy.  If I'm wrong, then I apologize.  But I saw a nub pointing up clear as day on the ultrasound screen, and when I asked the tech about it, she saw it too, and said that while you DO appear to be a boy based on that, she couldn't get your nub to show up from another angle to be 100% sure, so she told me not to go shopping, although she said you are probably a boy.

Just to note, I totally went shopping.  I got you tons of crazy cute newborn clothes.  I had to celebrate!  I also found out that at 12 weeks, the chance of losing you goes down to less than 1%.  Which is as low as it's going to get in pregnancy.  So that, combined with a great NT scan, combined with a high probability that you're a little dude - I just couldn't help myself!

Here's your nub shot that got me so excited, and a shot of the profile of your little face!  And also the most adorable onesie that I have ever seen in my life.  I had to buy it because I thought it represented you well, because yesterday, you were crabby:)





 In other news, Daddy comes home next week!  And we hit 13 weeks- 2nd Trimester!  Whoop Whoop!

Sweet dreams, little guy!

Love,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment